Since the academic year 2014/15 there is no more funding by the DAAD. Also, assumptions or cancellation of study fees are not secured.
The Institute for Materials Testing, Materials Science and Strength of Materials (IMWF) offered in cooperation with the of the for up to three students every year the opportunity to take part in a program abroad in Washington, D.C., USA. During the stay courses were taken and a student research project was written. The program’s focus was on achieving a Master’s degree in “Civil and Environmental Engineering” with a specification in “Transportation Safety Engineering”.
In the future, admissions of students from Stuttgart at the GWU as well as assumptions of study fees are dependent on a reciprocal exchange. The achievement of a Master’s degree in the course of the exchange program will not longer be an option.
Theis situated in the heart of the capital Washington, D.C. It is only a short distance away from the White House and the National Mall with its many sights.
The options concerning the lectures at the GWU are diverse and extend, besides engineering sciences, to political sciences, justice, medicine and many more.
The GWU offers a very good equipped library, computer pools with modern data processors and a lot more conveniences such as a free shuttle to the Virginia Campus. Also, there is an extensive fitness program which is almost completely included in the study fees.
The most important requirements for the participation in the exchange program are:
- A full time study at the University of Stuttgart in the field of engineering or related studies
- Academic performance above average, i.e. a finished bachelor’s degree at the time of the stay with a grade of at least “Gut” (2.0)
- Very good knowledge of the English language, i.e. at least 80 points in the , in the Internet based TOEFL
- Interest in topics of active and passive vehicle safety
It would be preferable if the TOEFL- and GRE-results would be present at the time of the application deadline.
You have the option to get fitting academic performances that you rendered at the GWU approved at the University of Stuttgart. This option should at the earliest convenience be discussed with the respective lecturer at the University of Stuttgart.
You can gain a clearer impression about the study at the GWU from the progress reports of former ISAP-participants. You find important links down below.
- Cover letter to Mr. Prof. Dr.-Ing. S. Weihe
- Information about academic performances which will be acquired during the stay
- A short statement what you hope for considering your stay abroad
- A personal data sheet with a picture
- A copy of your Bachelor’s degree (if already existent) and the last notification from the examination office (current grades)
- A copy of your Abitur certificate
- Information if you receive BAföG
- TOEFL-result or a copy of your registration confirmation for the TOEFL-test
- GRE-result or a copy of your registration confirmation for the GRE-test
Direct your application to:
Prof. Dr.-Ing. S. Weihe
Institut für Materialprüfung, Werkstoffkunde und Festigkeitslehre